Gourmet Salmon Burger with Mango Chutney
This gourmet salmon burger features a grilled or pan fried salmon patty topped with melted cheese on a toasted brioche bun with homemade mango chutney, sliced avocado, crunchy sprouts and a delicious basil, jalapeño and lime mayo.Jump to Recipe
The story of these Gourmet Salmon Burgers begins with us getting a package of salmon burger patties in our monthly Butcher Box meat delivery. Being super excited to try them I began my hunt for recipes and ideas. I googled, I Pinterested, I Instagramed, I even searched restaurant menus online for ideas and nothing was speaking to me. So I put my own creativity to work.
The flavors of this burger were inspired by our Mango Avocado Salsa. I didn’t really want salsa on a burger though. So I decided to do a chutney, then I would just do sliced avocado, cheese (it is a burger after all) and sprouts for some crunch.
Now for one of the most important elements of a good burger, the sauce! In keeping with the mango salsa flavors I knew it would include lime and jalapeño. I also had basil on hand so I put that in there and it was perfect!
If you love this Gourmet Salmon Burger recipe then be sure to check out our entire lineup of gourmet burgers.
What you Need to Make Gourmet Salmon Burgers
If you shop with the button above we will earn a commission
- Red wine vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
- Smoked paprika
- Mustard seeds
- Garlic powder
- Brioche hamburger buns
- Salmon patties (we get ours from Butcher Box)
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Spicy blend of sprouts
- Sweet onion
- Basil leaves
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh ginger
- Garlic clove
- Large frying pan or grill
- Small saucepan
- Thin spatula
- Small mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Stirring spoon
Extra Tips for this recipe
- We have used salmon fillets with great results*
- Provolone cheese instead of monterey jack
- You can use any bun you like
- Regular alfalfa sprouts will work in place of a spicy blend.
*If you do use salmon fillets sockeye works great because they are more flat and square especially the end pieces. If you’re using the very tail end pieces you can trim the really flat piece off the end so it is more square and will fit on the bun better.
Can you make any part of this recipe ahead
The mango chutney can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for a couple weeks.
The sauce could be made a day or two in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
👨🍳 Lets Get Cooking 👩🍳
Step by step instructions with photos belowPrint Recipe
Begin by making the Mango Chutney
Prep your ingredients
- Peel and dice 1 large ripe mango
- Chop 1/4 of a small/medium sweet onion into small pieces.
- Mince 1 garlic clove
- Grate or mince 1/2 tsp of fresh ginger
1. In a small saucepan heat 1 teaspoon oil until hot. Add the Sweet onion, Garlic, Ginger, 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds, and 1/8 teaspoon Smoked paprika. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the diced mango, 3 Tablespoons Honey, 1 Tablespoon Red wine vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon Salt (or to taste). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until thickened. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the Jalapeno Lime Mayo
1. In a small bowl combine 6 Tablespoons Mayo, 1 large jalapeno seeds removed and chopped very small, 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed Lime juice, 2-3 Tablespoons chopped Fresh basil, 1/8 teaspoon Granulated garlic and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
To cook the Salmon
If using pre made patties
1. Cook according to the package instructions.
2. About a minute before the patties are done add 1 slice of cheese to each patty so it can melt.
If using fillets
1. Brush each side of your fillets with oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the fillets and cook over medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. (145° F)
3. Remove from the heat. Top each fillet with a slice of cheese. Cover to let melt.
Tip: I usually remove the skin before cooking but you can cook it with the skin on and remove after it is cooked.
1. Spread a thin layer of butter on the cut sides of each bun. Place cut side up on a tray.
Broil on high for 1-2 minutes or until golden and toasted.
2. Peel and slice 1 avocado.
- Spread sauce on the top and bottom buns
- Place your prepared salmon onto the bottom bun
- Top with a large spoonful of mango chutney
- Add some sliced avocado
- Top with sprouts
- And top bun
Other Burger Recipes
- Gourmet Turkey Burger
- Teriyaki Burger with Pineapple
- Raspberry Jalapeno Popper Burger
- Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
If you try this recipe it would mean the world to us if you leave a star rating or review. You can find it at the bottom of the page.
Gourmet Salmon Burger Recipe
- 4 4 oz Salmon burger patties or salmon fillets*
- Salt and pepper if needed
- 4 Slices Monterey Jack cheese or provolone
Jalapeno Lime Mayo
- 6 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh basil
- 1 large Jalapeño minced
- ⅛ tsp Granulated garlic
- 1 pinch Salt
- 4 Brioche buns toasted or buns of choice
- 1 Avocado peeled and sliced
- Spicy blend of sprouts** Such as Radish & Clover
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ Sweet Onion chopped small about 3 Tbsp
- 1 Small Garlic clove minced about ½ tsp
- ½ teaspoon Grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 Ripe Mango Peeled and diced small
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Red wine vinegar
For the Mango Chutney (can be made ahead)
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and mustard seeds. Cook over medium low heat or until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Add the salt, mongo, honey, red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a dish and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the Jalapeno lime mayo
- In a small dish stir all the ingredients together until well combined.
For the Salmon
If using pre made patties
- Brush each side with oil. Grill or pan fry according to package instructions. About a minute before the patties are done place a slice of cheese on each patty and cover to melt.
If using Salmon Fillets
- If your fillets have skin on them you can remove it before or after cooking. Either way bruch each side with oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Add to a hot frying pan or grill and cook over medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. (145°). Turn off heat, add a slice of cheese to each fillet and cover to melt.
To toast the buns
- Spread a thin layer of butter on the cut side of each bun. Place on a tray cut side up and broil on high for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Or place cut side down on the grill until golden brown.
- Spread some sauce on the top and bottom of each toasted bun. (about 1 heaping Tbsp each)
- Place a salmon on the bottom bun, top with a scoop of mango chutney, some avocado slices, sprouts, and top bun. Then devour!
Tag us on Instagram @thetearyonion so we can see your creation!
Thanks for reading and as always have fun in the kitchen!