Teriyaki Burger with Pineapple
Grilled teriyaki hamburger patty with pepper jack cheese, teriyaki glazed grilled pineapple, crispy bacon and lettuce on a toasted bun.Just Give Me The Recipe Already
Would summer even be summer without making or eating burgers on the regular? That’s a hard no for us. It’s something we look forward to all winter long… they can be so loooonnnnnng! We especially like making gourmet burgers, loaded with lots of flavors and texture. Like our Gourmet Burger with Pickled Red Cabbage or our mouth watering Raspberry Jalapeno Popper Burger.
We were dreaming of Hawaii and wishing we were there but since we’re not, we figured why not make a burger with pineapple on it because what says Hawaii more then pineapple? We served these with a Hawaiian Mai Thai to take our imagined vacation to the next level!
These Teriyaki Burgers with Pineapple are easy to make but they are not lacking in flavor. The salty bacon and sweet pineapple pair perfectly with the salty-sweet teriyaki sauce. We have been making these burgers a lot the past couple weeks, which we’re not mad about, 😀 to get the recipe just right for you!
What You Need
- Ground beef
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Pineapple fresh or canned (sliced)
- Buns (we like using whole wheat)
- Teriyaki sauce
- Soy sauce
- Pineapple juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Granulated Garlic
Extra Tips For This Recipe
We like making our own sauce (we will include the recipe) but sometimes we buy it. If you’re buying it just make sure it has some kind of sugar in it so it will caramelize when grilled.
Use fresh or canned pineapple in this recipe. If you’re using canned make sure it is sliced.
Well we’re going to recommend our recipe if you want homemade 😀.
Some store bought options we like are: These sprouted burger buns from Alvarado Street Bakery.
100% whole wheat buns from Rudi’s Bakery.
We sometimes get these whole wheat buns from Brownberry Bakery because they are pretty easy to find in the grocery store.
How to Make
Step by step instructions below or scroll down for printable version
Make the Teriyaki Sauce
In a small saucepan combine 1/4 cup Soy sauce, 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice, 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 2 teaspoons Cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger and 1/8 teaspoon Granulated Garlic. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. You can use right away or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Cook the Bacon
We like to bake our bacon, it’s easy and mess free!
Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, lay the bacon on the tray and bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes or until your desired crispiness is reached.
Grill the Burger and Pineapple
Divide 1 pound of hamburger into 4 equal pieces and shape into patties, a little bit bigger then your bun. Season both sides with salt and pepper and brush with teriyaki sauce.
Cut the top and bottom off a fresh pineapple then cut the rind off. Slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds (you need 4 slices). Cut the core out of the center. Brush each side with teriyaki sauce.
If you’re using canned pineapple then you’ll need 8 slices. Drain well and brush each side with teriyaki sauce.
Grill the burgers on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked to your desired doneness. Place a slice of Pepper Jack cheese on each patty during the last minute of cooking.
Grill the pineapple on high heat for 2-4 minutes per side or until the teriyaki sauce is caramelized.
Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on your grill and how hot/cold it is outside.
Toast 4 buns (we use whole wheat buns) either on the grill or in the oven on broil. You will also need some Lettuce and Mayo.
Spread the buns with mayo, place the patty on the bottom bun then top with a little teriyaki sauce, the grilled pineapple, bacon, lettuce and then the top bun.
other recipes you might enjoy
Teriyaki Burger with Pineapple
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Pineapple juice
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon Granulated garlic
- 1 pound Ground beef or 4 beef patties
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 Fresh pineapple or 1 can sliced
- 6-8 slices Cooked bacon
- 4 Hamburger buns toasted
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Divide the hamburger into 4 equal pieces and shape into patties a little bit bigger then your bun. Season both sides with salt and pepper and brush with teriyaki sauce. Grill on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked to your desired doneness. Place a slice of cheese on each patty during the last minute of cooking. Note: cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on your grill and how hot/cold it is outside.
- If you're using fresh pineapple Cut the bottom and top off the pineapple then cut the rind off. Make 4 round slices about 3/8-1/2 inch thick. Use a spoon, small cookie cutter or a knife to cut the core out of the center of the slices.If using canned then Remove the pineapple slices from the can and shake off any excess juice (use 2 rings per burger). Brush each side of the pineapples with teriyaki sauce. Grill on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until the they are caramelized.
- Spread the top and bottom bun with mayo and a little bit of teriyaki sauce. Place your patty on the bottom bun then top with the bacon, pineapple, lettuce, and top bun.
If you try any of our recipes we would love to see your creation!
Tag us on Instagram @thetearyonion. Or leave a review here on the recipe!
Thanks for reading and as always have fun in the kitchen!
2 thoughts on “Teriyaki Burger with Pineapple”
I love this recipe. When I was in Hawaii I asked the tour guide who took us on the foodie tour about getting a Hawaiian burger he kind of laughed at me. But the one I got had Avocado and pineapple which was incredible. So I’m going to try this but add avocado.
I’m so glad you love it! Ohh, adding avocado is a great idea 😋