Mini No Bake Red White and Blue Desserts
White chocolate mousse with butterfly pea flower for the blue color and plain white chocolate mousse for the white color topped with a tart strawberry sauce for the red color.Jump to Recipe
These mini no-bake red, white and blue desserts are, of course, made to celebrate Independence Day! Impress your friends with the even layers of color and delicious flavor by bringing these to your 4th of July party!
Aren’t desserts in a jar so fun?? We like making these in ¼ or ½ pint jars, you can just screw the lids on and they’re good to go. They make the perfect little desserts to take to parties. We also like putting mousse desserts in wine glasses like this Boozy Chocolate Mousse.
This recipe can be tailored to fit whatever your needs are. You can make 4-8 oz., 6-5/6 oz. or 8-4 oz. desserts. It can be doubled or halved to get as many or as little as you need. They are simple to make (only requires a little chilling time between steps), and there’s no baking required!
What You Need to Make Red White and Blue Desserts in a Jar
- Unflavored gelatin
- White chocolate chips
- Butterfly pea flower powder*
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh lemon juice
*Butterfly pea flower powder is what we use to color the mousse blue. It is an all natural coloring that come from the flowers of the butterfly pea plant. It is said that it is high in antioxidants. You can read more about butterfly pea flower here.
- Clear jars or cups
If you want your mousse to be blue then you need some kind of coloring. You could use food coloring but we have not tried it so you would just have to add a little at a time until you get the right color. If you’re not going for red, white and blue you could totally just made the mousse without the butterfly pea flower powder.
Yes, you can make these and store them in the refrigerator for a couple days.
Start by weighing the bowl you are going to mix the chips and milk together. When everything is mixed weigh it again then subtract the weight of the bowl and divide the remaining weight by 2. That will give you the weight of each portion. Weigh the bowl you are going to mix the blue color in then pour the right amount of the white chocolate milk into the bowl. Repeat the same process with the whipping cream. And then the same process with the finished mousse and divide by however many dessert cups you are making.
How to Make These No Bake Red White and Blue Desserts
Step by step instructions with photos below or scroll down for printable versions
Make The Mousse Layers
This recipes makes 4-8 oz. 6-5/6 oz. or 8-4 oz. desserts.
In a small dish dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin in 2 Tablespoons cold water let stand until all the water is soaked up.
Heat 1/2 cup milk until hot but not boiling, remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Pour the hot milk over 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. Stir until the chips are melted.
Tip: To get as even layers as possible use a kitchen scale when dividing the mixtures. See the FAQ section above for detailed instructions.
Divide the mixture in half and stir 2 teaspoons butterfly pea flower powder into one portion. Let both cool to room temperature or until no longer warm to the touch.
Whip 1 cup heavy whipping cream to medium peaks (be careful not to over whip). Stir half the cream into the blue mixture then divide evenly between your serving jars/cups. Tap the cup on the counter gently to evenly distribute. Place in the refrigerator until the top is set just enough to hold the white mousse (about 20 minutes).
Fold the rest of the whipped cream into the remaining white chocolate mixture. Carefully put on top of the blue mousse. Cover and refrigerate until set.
Make The Strawberry Topping
Dice 1 pound of strawberries then place about half of them into a small saucepan with 4 Tablespoons sugar and 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Cook over medium/low heat or a simmer until they turn saucy, thicken slightly and develop a deep red color. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining strawberries. Cool completely before placing on top of the mousse.
Click here to pin recipe for later 📌
Other Party Pleasing Recipes
Mini No-Bake Red White and Blue Desserts
- 8 ¼ pint jars optional
- 4 ½ pint (wide mouth preferred) jars optional
- 2 Tablespoons Cold water
- 1 ½ teaspoons Unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup White chocolate chips
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Butterfly pea flower powder
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract optional
- 1 pound Strawberries
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
To Make the Mousse
- This recipe will make 4-8 oz, 6-5/6 oz or 8-4 oz desserts. We like using ¼ pint or wide mouth ½ pint mason jars for these desserts.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the water then let stand until all the water is soaked up. Heat the milk until hot but not boiling, remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin.
- Pour the hot milk over the white chocolate chips and salt. Stir until the chips are melted.
- Divide the mixture in half and stir the butterfly pea flower powder into one portion. Let cool to room temperature or until no longer warm to the touch.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla (if using) to medium peaks (be careful not to over whip). Fold half the cream into the blue mixture then divide evenly between your serving jars/cups. Tap the cup on the counter to evenly distribute. Place in the refrigerator until the top is set just enough to hold the white mousse (about 20 minutes).
- Fold the rest of the whipped cream into the remaining white chocolate mixture. Carefully put on top of the blue mousse. Cover and refrigerate until set.
For the Strawberry Sauce
- Dice the strawberries then place about half of them into a small saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium/low heat until they turn saucy, start to thicken slightly and develop a deep red color. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining strawberries. Cool completely before placing on top of the mousse.
If you try any of our recipes we would love to see your creation!
Tag us on Instagram @thetearyonion. Or leave a review here on the recipe!
Thanks for reading and as always have fun in the kitchen!