Strawberry Basil Crisp
Tart strawberry filling with a hint of basil topped with a sweet, buttery, crunchy topping.
Click here to pin recipe for later 📌Jump to Recipe
We love putting herbs in dessert! It gives them such a unique flavor kick. And the basil in this strawberry crisp is really what makes it shine. It is sooooo good!! We kind of forget how good it is and every time we make it we’re like O.M.Good. all over again. LOL!
It is actually very simple to make and the results are astounding! We would highly recommend not skipping the basil even if you’re skeptical of it. We think you’ll be a fan :). Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and everything will be right in the world….. at least for a minute!
The crisp is made with 100% whole wheat flour which in our opinion is better then ap (all purpose) flour because of the nutty rich flavor. Besides then you can consider it a healthy dessert, wink wink! Just make sure you are using white wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour.
What you need to make Strawberry Basil Crisp
- Fresh basil
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- White whole wheat flour
- Rolled oats
Helpful tips for this recipe
We highly recommend not skipping the basil, it really is what makes this recipe shine.
When choosing your flour look for whole wheat flour that is ground from white wheat (It should say on the ingredients). You can also use whole wheat pastry flour.
How to make Strawberry Basil Crisp
Preheat Oven to 375° F
For the filling
1. Rinse 1 pound of strawberries, cut the tops off and quarter them. (if they are large cut them in half and then slice about 1/4-1/2″ thick).
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the strawberries 1 handful of fresh basil chopped (about 3 Tablespoons). Juice from 1 lime (about 2 Tablespoons). 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar. Toss until well combined. Place into a medium sized baking dish (1.5-2 quart) or a 9 inch pie pan.
For the topping
1. In a small mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
2. Melt 1/2 cup salted butter. Stir into the flour mixture until evenly moistened.
3. Spread over the top of the strawberries.
Tip: Take a handful of the crisp topping and squeeze it firmly so it forms a large piece and then break it up into bite sized chunks over the strawberries. That way you get those large chunks of delicious crunch after it is baked!
4. Bake at 375° F for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream for an absolutely dreamy experience on your tastebuds!
Other Desserts You Might Enjoy
- Boozy Chocolate Mousse for Two
- Vanilla Chiffon Cakes with Strawberry Rosé Sauce
- Smoked Triple Berry Crisp
Strawberry Basil Crisp
- 1 pound Fresh strawberries rinsed
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Lime juiced (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 handful Fresh basil chopped (about 3 tbsp)
- ¾ cup Rolled oats
- ¾ cup White whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 8 tbsp Salted butter melted
For the filling
- Cut the tops off the strawberries. Quarter them or if they are large cut in half then slice into thick slices.
- Place the strawberries and the rest of the filling ingredients into a bowl and toss until combined. Pour into a medium sized baking dish (1.5-2 quart) or a 9" pie pan.
For the crisp topping
- In a small mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter and stir until evenly moistened.
- Take a handful of the topping and squeeze it firmly then break into bite size chunks over the strawberries. Repeat with remaining topping, covering the strawberries evenly.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until the crisp is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired 🙂
If you try any of our recipes we would love to see your creation!
Tag us on Instagram @thetearyonion or leave a review here on the recipe!
Thanks for reading and as always have fun in the kitchen!
3 thoughts on “Strawberry Basil Crisp”