Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Originally published August 14, 2020, Updated August 26, 2021
Moist and tender whole wheat banana bread with just the right amount of sweet, nice banana flavor and speckled with chocolate chips, shredded coconut and nuts.Just Give Me The Recipe Already
This banana bread is made with all whole wheat flour but is still ; and delicious. We actually prefer the taste of most baked goods made with whole wheat flour. Not to mention it’s more healthy! So it’s a win win right? Our Gingerbread Loaf is also made with whole wheat flour.
Want to know how to make this into an easy yummy dessert? Course you do 😁😁 Toast a slice of this banana bread, place a scoop of ice cream on top and drizzle with fudge sauce or caramel, or both!
- Made with oil so it’s super moist
- Uses 2 bananas
- Made with whole wheat flour so it’s healthier
- Has chocolate chips, nuts and coconut
What You Need to Make This Recipe
- Whole white wheat flour
- Baking Soda
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Milk or Rum
- Ripe Bananas
- Walnuts or Pecans
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
Extra Tips and FAQ
How Ripe Should Bananas Be For Banana Bread?
The more ripe they are the more banana flavor you will get. Ideally the peeling should be almost all dark brown. They will work as long as they have several brown spots on them. And as far as being too ripe, as long as they aren’t moldy or fermented smelling they are good to go.
To Make Banana Bread Muffins
Divide batter between 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups. Bake at 400° F for 15-18 minutes
How to make Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Preheat oven to 350° F
Mash 2 medium bananas very well
In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups whole white wheat flour flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Add 2 eggs, 1/2 c oil and 3 Tablespoons milk or rum and the mashed bananas. Stir just until combined.
Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we used semi-sweet) , 1/2 chopped pecans or walnuts and 1/2 cup shredded coconut (we used unsweetened).
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake @ 350° 55-65 minutes for a 9×5 inch pan or 70-80 minutes for a 8×4 inch pan. Or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out barley clean.
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack.
After cooled completely store in a covered container or resealable bag
Other Recipes To Check Out
- Pumpkin Walnut Scones
- Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins
- Coffee Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Healthy Banana Cake
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1½ cups Whole white wheat flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon optional
- 3 Tablespoons Milk or Rum
- ½ cup oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 medium Ripe Bananas mashed well about 1 cup
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5 or 8×4 inch loaf pan
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add the oil, eggs, milk or rum and the mashed bananas. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, nuts and, coconut. Pour into your greased pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes for 9×5 inch and 70-80 for 8×4 inch or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out barley clean. Cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
If you try any of our recipes we would love to see your creation!
Tag us on Instagram @thetearyonion. Or leave a review here on the recipe!
Thanks for reading and as always have fun in the kitchen!